Thursday, April 16, 2009

teen heavy bleeding (possible endometriosis)

Lets see...

When I was 14 yrs old, I started bleeding very heavily I also had painful periods. When I started bleeding very heavily non-stop my mother took me to my pediatrician. From my heavy non-stop periods I became anemic. I was referred to a hematologist, & almost needed a blood transfusion. I was put on birth control pills which didn't work to help the heavy continuous non-stop bleeding. I did get the depo-provera shot which did stop the heavy bleeding.

Due to the heavy bleeding issue I had I was referred to see an adult gynecologist.

I remember Nothing else was done after the bleeding was stopped.

I also have an ultrasound report from age 14, that indicated I had a cyst on my ovary.



I believe that I have had endometriosis since I was 14 years old, due to the heavy non-stop period also pain with my period; also the cyst on my ovary. I honestly wish that when I was 14 my reproductive issues would have been investigated more by the gynecologist, in case of future problems with trying to have babies.



I suggest to every mother out their to keep an eye on their daughter. If she starts complaining of pain with her period or starts bleeding heavy; to get that checked out. Possibly it could be endometriosis, which sometimes can cause issues later with trying to have children, if it gets severe enough. Usually a woman isn't diagnosed until she is in her 20's or 30's.

But if a teenage girl does have endometriosis being diagnosed early can preserve her fertility.

No comments:

Post a Comment