Thursday, April 16, 2009

surgeries & damage from endo

I was scheduled for my first laparoscopy on July 25, 2006. This was done for the cyst on my ovary. I was a bit nervous due to I had never had any type of surgery like this before.
I went in for my laparoscopy, During the surgery my dr. found the cyst & tried to remove as much of it as he could. But it couldn't be done due to the cyst was much bigger than expected.
With the laparoscopy I was home the same night. I have a couple tiny scars in my belly button & on the left side of my stomach.
So... I was told that I would need a laparotomy. I was scheduled for my laparotomy on August 29th, 2006.
During this time I had the remaining cyst removed, in addition I had half of the left ovary removed & half of my left fallopian removed. I was told before surgery I was going to need the whole ovary removed. my remaining ovary was good, so the other half was left. As of now my remaining left ovary is quite bigger than the right ovary. My remaining left tube is swollen/fluid filled.
With having the laparotomy done, I was in the hospital for 2-3 days. This was because having a laparotomy done it's open surgery. From this I have a 6 inch scar across my stomach. The recovery in the hosptial was very tough, the first night was terrible, after surgery: waking up I was in so much pain due to being cut across the stomach. Walking was the toughest part.
During my follow-up appt. after my laparotomy, I was told what was done during my surgery. I was also told that I would need IVF to get pregnant, due to my non-functional left fallopian tube.

In March 2007 I had my 2nd laparoscopy done for another cyst. Before going in for this surgery I went in to the Emergency room, due to a Kidney infection. I had a CT scan to rule out appendicitis. On the CT scan it showed that I did have another cyst on my ovary.
This saved some time for my dr. With my 2nd laparoscopy I had the cyst removed & lysis of adhesions. With having surgery this can cause scar tissue to form.

No comments:

Post a Comment